Six ways to iterate in Prolog

Sorry. That was meant for joeblog. I didn’t add an @ because he was the original OP and AFAIK should get the notification by default. Also when I reply to a specific person or statement I try to use the quote feature.

Thanks for letting me know I can clean up such replies or yours; don’t plan on it as you rarely to never go off topic…

My opinion on that is no, leave that to SO and if users want that then just direct them there. I only referenced it because others might relate to why I am deleting post.

One of the benefits I like about this site is that we can freely and openly discuss the topics. While StackOverflow is nice when you have specific problems and know there are others who can and will give a valid answer, that is about the only real use for me it has.

I did notice that Discourse has a chat feature that is not enabled on this site. Not suggesting it at present, but something to think about. Had I know about that when making the Wiki topics, probably would have used that instead of separate Category: Wiki Sub-category: Discussion topics. :smiley:

Sorry, only read this old comment properly now.

I’d definitely like to add examples to the documentation. Like most people, the first thing I tend to want from documentation is a simple example (which test driven development encourages), and I suspect the lack of examples is a common frustration among people learning Prolog. I don’t quite have the confidence yet at my Prolog skills, so would prefer if a more experienced person decided if my examples are "worthy, but will look into experimenting with contributing via git in the coming week or so.

A really nice thing about this forum is it’s low traffic. I’ve found asking Prolog-related questions on StackOverflow a bit pointless, and I made the mistake of starting a thread on the old Usenet group comp.lang.prolog which turned into an example of why Usenet died (BTW, is kintalken actually a person or an attack bot someone created as a joke?).

No idea whether a chat facility makes sense here. These things tend to get misused. You can reorganise categories as you see fit.

Been there, done that.

From my personal experience, the faster you get into and fail and fail again the faster you learn. The people you want help from are typically the nicest and will give you the help or politely point out corrections. Sometimes you will get trolls and such, but the best thing for that is to just ignore them.

Here is an example of some horrendous code I posted here a few months back, but now because of the help and failing many times, my DCGs are so much better.

Just post it at a place where you can edit and update it and then you can always go back and change it.

One piece of advise on posting is that if you really want it to help others then you have to post it to a site that will have the content indexed by search engines and then easy to find. I know this site is indexed by several search engines, that is why I am adding the category: Wiki topics here.

Here is one example of a beginner question I asked at one site, but because of the way I wrote the title and the site it is posted on the view count is huge. Note that number is essentially from only LaTeX users. Also the count is unique, meaning that if I go back again I have already been counted, so the count does not increase.

1 Like