Todo file with ideas

Should be interesting to have a kind of TODO file or similar where to write the next features to implement in SWI Prolog (or SWISH, wyh not) or the features will be cool to have, in case some programmer is willing to help.

In theory we have https://github.com/SWI-Prolog/roadmap for that. It isn’t in active use. One reason is that there are many more people that want stuff than there are willing to spent a lot of time realizing them, I fear. It would work better if it was more a market place :slight_smile:

There is plenty of work to do, ranging from website and documentation to add-on management, libraries and hard core C development.

How exactly do you mean that? “Market place” suggests that money is changing hands? Or am I reading too much into this?

If someone can find a sponsor :slight_smile:

1 Like

As in, someone with money needs a feature, puts it on the market, then someone feels they want to do it? or something similar along these lines?

Visual Studio Code is a free and open source IDE. It has a marketplace (Extensions for Visual Studio family of products | Visual Studio Marketplace) for downloading and installing free add-ins, paid, or subscription. The term Marketplace has become a common word to refer to such places with popular programming tools and such.

Others are

Eclipse - marketplace
Adobe - marketplace
Microsoft Office - App store (Find the right app | Microsoft AppSource)

If you Google the name of a popular software tool and then add the word marketplace or store it works more than you think if you are new to this concept.

A similar term is repository. I tend to think of marketplace for add-ons and repository for source code.

See also App store

Thank you Eric. I suspect I misunderstood the general drift of the conversation.

From my own point of view: I have so little time that is not budgeted already somehow. Sleeping, family, work, and just enough sports to keep me from getting back/knee problems from sitting too much is more than enough to fill in the 168 hours of the week.

I am invested in (SWI) Prolog in the sense that I know it well enough to be able to do stuff in a hurry when I need it. I can dream up many “nice to have” features that would help me do things with even less friction.

If there is a marketplace as I understood it, I see myself taking either role: suggesting a feature or implementing a feature, if it aligns with my skills and intrinsic motivation.

Just to provide some context :slight_smile:

Maybe not.

The way the terms may have multiple meanings in the discussion are not causing me any problems, I just added the note because when the word marketplace is brought up in the context of software tools that is what I think; a web site to shop for and install add-ons, which can be free, paid up front, or as a subscription.