Best practice for catch/3 with multiple possible errors?

Please don’t take this as anything other than just trying to shine some light on what you seek, which is to cleanup library(rbtrees).

Instead of focusing on the catch/throw part of the question, in looking at it from what is the predicate is_rebtree/1 suppose to do one has to ask, is is_rbtreee/1 a predicate that should return only success or failure?

When I see predicates starting with the word is I don’t expect side effects, no exceptions, no messages, no binding of values, just success or failure of the predicate.

Digging deeper into how I reason about such is that is_rbtree/1 looks to be a recognizer (think parser that returns either success or failure) and is a wrapper around a parser that suppresses all error messages. In looking at the current code for is_rbtree/1, that is what I am seeing

is_rbtree(X) :-
    var(X), !, fail.
is_rbtree(t(Nil,Nil)) :- !.
is_rbtree(t(_,T)) :-
    catch(rbtree1(T), msg(_,_), fail).

with rbtree1/1 being the parser that throws.

If a predicate is needed to check if a value is an rb_tree and return the errors then I would expect a parser predicate with 2 arguments, the first augment being the value to be parsed and the second being an option list with an option for what to do with the parsing errors (collect them into a list, print them as found, …). I am not finding an exported predicate for such with SWI-Prolog Red-Black trees. rbtree1/1 would be a good start.

If the data is external data being loaded then I would look to rdf_load/2 for inspiration. However rb_trees tend to be internal so I would look to json_read/2 or similar for inspiration.

When I was searching trusted SWI-Prolog repositories for code that would catch an error and massage specific errors into fail or re-export the error, it was like looking for a needle in a hay stack. Nothing I found exactly matched all three.

HTH

My current list of trusted SWI-Prolog repositories that I search. More are trusted but not in the list as it takes about a minute to search these and I do tens of searches a day.

Click triangle to expand

bench-master
contrib-protobufs-master
docker-swipl-linux-ci-master
packages-bdb-master
packages-chr-master
packages-clib-master
packages-cppproxy-master
packages-http-master
packages-inclpr-master
packages-jpl-master
packages-ltx2htm-master