Useful Prolog references
Note: Do not reply to this topic; questions, concerns, comments, etc. are to be handled in
Wiki Discussion: Useful Prolog references
StackOverflow Prolog tag contains links to many Prolog implementations and free Prolog books.
The Power of Prolog is a great online book (with some video links) explaining prolog from the ground up, including DCGs and Constraint Logic Programming; it is very good.
Simply Logical: Intelligent Reasoning by Example
Prolog Programming for Artificial Intelligence (4th Edition) by Ivan Bratko (WorldCat)
Programming in Prolog by W F Clocksin and C S Mellish (WorldCat)
The Art of Prolog - advanced programming techniques by Leon S Sterling, Ehud Y Shapior and David H D Warren (WorldCat)
The Craft of Prolog by Richard A O`Keefe (WorldCat)
Prolog reference manuals
Often contain useful examples
Sites hosting research papers for download
- Google Scholar
- Microsoft Academic Search AKA MAS
- Electronic Colloquium on Computation Complexity
- Cryptology ePrint Archive
- The open archive HAL
require membership fee
Sites hosting bibliography
- DBLP - The dblp computer science bibliography provides open bibliographic information on major computer science journals and proceedings.
Searching Internet for research papers - tips
- Some times the paper is not indexed by a search engine because the paper is stored on the public site of a professor but robots.txt excludes indexing personal pages. So if you know the author(s), go to their school site, search for the author, find their personal pages and manually search them. This has a low probably of working, but does sometimes work when Google or such fails.
SWI-Prolog predicate documentation
The SWI-Prolog library
To see the source code for a specific predicate click on (link)
Locating a library with a specific book
WorldCat - If you fill in your location on the page, it will show libraries near you where the book can be found, includes university libraries. Also includes places where you can purchase the book if desired, including out of print and used books.
Publications about SWI-Prolog
Intro to Web Prolog for Erlangers
Use of Prolog for developing a new programming language and A History of the Erlang VM
Negation as failure
Definite Clause Grammars for Language Analysis --A Survey of the Formalism and a Comparison with Augmented Transition Networks
The SWI-Prolog library
pengines 0.1.8 - A simple python library for interacting with SWI-Prologs Pengines
RosettaCode has examples of lots of simple programming task implemented in many programming languages. If you know one programming language, you can often find the same implementation in another language. Prolog tasks.
Applications making use of Prolog
ConceptBase.cc - A System for Metamodeling and Method Engineering
Prolog and Logic Programming Historical Sources Archive - This is a gold mine if you want to see the history of different Prolog implementations with archived code included.
“The birth of Prolog” by Alain Colmerauer and Philippe Roussel (PDF)
PceEmacs - SWI-Prolog built-in editor
By Anne Ogborn
By Robert Laing
- Graph Traversal for Problem Solving
- Web applications
- Various ways to iterate in Prolog
- Compiler example from Art of Prolog
The above are notes from developing a chess player at http://www.newsgames.biz/chess and a draughts player at http://www.newsgames.biz/draughts which are still work in progress, so the guides are also improving gradually.