Emulator missing for creating an executable for XPCE-Prolog in MS-Windows

Hello, I have a problem with creating an executable for XPCE-Prolog in MS-Windows.
I am following this tutorial as I am new to this language and have came across following issue.

The example code uses the xpce-stub.exe emulator to avoid showing the SWI-Prolog console.
The version I am using (8.2.1) doesn’t have the xpce-stub.exe in the /bin/ directory.
When I create an executable without the emulator everything works fine, I just get the empty console beside my GUI.

How do I avoid showing the console? Is there any other executable that I can use as an emulator?

Using win_window_pos/1, as win_window_pos([show(false)]), That will probably still show a briefly flashing console while the application is loaded.

Seems the original xpce-stub source is still there, but it is no longer being built after migration to CMake for building SWI-Prolog. That could be reactivated, but I wonder how useful that is. XPCE once was an important part of SWI-Prolog, now it looks old and mostly supports the IDE tools. Opinions?

1 Like

I just tried it out and it works. It is only a workaround but this is a lot easier than rebuilding SWI-Prolog. Thank you!

i have made a few XPCE applications as well, i use it to create UI listbox options lists for an office program.

on windows it works very good, i have ported the same code to Linux where it crashes about 1 in 5 times when xpce is called, I have also copied the code to Imac where it seems to run ok when quartz windows is installed
i was planning to make swi-prolog xpce programs for the Mac platform because one can make UI programs with it in very short development time.