Enigma for thought

Thank you for your reply. No hard feelings on my side for sure, I was joking, but then again, on the internet nuance is lost and it is difficult to tell. In addition, I am not sure if any joke is considered proper etiquette on a forum for a programming language implementation as SWI-Prolog. So please forgive my bad jokes.

I am not sure how you read and write the messages in this forum (do you use email?) but many of us use the web-based client at https://swi-prolog.discourse.group. In practice this means:

• we all see all messages in the same thread;
  • you don’t need to (or are not expected to) be too formal in your address, since everyone gets the message;
  • the moment you write something here, it is public. Maybe @EricGT knows the exact terms of service for our discourse group? I assumed that it can’t be easy to keep copyright over the things you write here even if you wanted. EDIT: it seems I was wrong.

Then, I haven’t been called “Mr Vassilev” (actually, “Herr Vassilev!!!” in a strict voice) since late 2006; the person who called me that insisted to be addressed as “Prof. Dr-Ing. habil. B…k” (I edited the name out).

Finally, I do understand Russian because I learned it; at the time, Bulgaria was still under the strong influence of the Soviet Empire, an influence that my country is still struggling to escape (with limited success).

Now I am way off topic and I will stop before I get banned.

To see the Terms of Service on the site you can use the direct link: Terms of Service - SWI-Prolog

If you don’t know the direct link then they can be found by

1. Click on hamburger menu in upper right on web site page.
  2. Click on FAQ
  3. Click on Terms of Service

So I read the section “Your content”. To my surprise it sounds like I am the sole owner of anything I write here? Then again, it is public, right? Or isn’t it?

Let me ask this in a different way: if I described an invention here, would that be considered prior art if someone would be applying for a patent?

You have never come close to getting banned. The only people that have been banned so far are new users you never see who are posting ads and other troll post. Discourse has a filter on all post and if they are flagged we as admins see them and take appropriate action. If something goes off topic for more than a few post with a few people in the off-topic discussion I will convert it to a new topic.

If vulgar words are used I will edit them on the spot, but again I haven’t done that for quite some time.

You are doing fine, no need to change your routine. :slightly_smiling_face:

It is public in the sense that anyone who can read it via the Internet or copies from such can read it.

That is a legal question that I can not answer as I am not an attorney.

My advise is not to post such if you have any doubts.

You still have to add the (C) with your name and date to that post for it to have copyright protection.

The way I interpret the Terms of Service is that someone can not take what you wrote, post it somewhere else and claim they were the original author.

There are some sites that duplicate everything written on StackOverflow but because they keep each users name with the info, it is all on the up and up.

Seems like SWI-Prolog CLP(FD) goes through the roof. For lower bound of interval close to zero moving away it starts rapidly taking more and more time.

This doesn’t happen in my system, a different implementation from the SWI-Prolog implementation, not simply a rip-off, since I am using weaker propagation.

Can also make the timing game:

[X,Y] ins -1..100
% Up 474 ms, GC 5 ms, Threads 465 ms (Current 10/02/20 00:02:02)
[X,Y] ins -5..100
% Up 495 ms, GC 4 ms, Threads 486 ms (Current 10/02/20 00:02:09)
[X,Y] ins -10..100
% Up 568 ms, GC 8 ms, Threads 554 ms (Current 10/02/20 00:02:17)
[X,Y] ins -11..100
% Up 565 ms, GC 6 ms, Threads 556 ms (Current 10/02/20 00:02:25)

Nothing unusual. CLP(FD) search should correlate with the size of the searched domain, otherwise the consistency heuristics have an unfavorable overhead.