How to send a string + string length on a stream?

I want to write a predicate that takes a stream and a string and writes the string length first as a 64 bit integer followed by the string as UTF8 encoded.

Is this in the right direction? Also: I cannot figure out how to turn a Prolog number into bytes (i.e. turn 2 into binary 0x10). Any tips there?

sendString(Stream, String) :-
    % make sure it is UTF8 encoded
    set_prolog_flag(encoding, utf8),
    % get a set of UTF8 codes from the string
    stringCodes(String, Codes),
    % Count and send the count first
    length(Codes, Length),
    ???? How to convert Length to a binary 64 bit number and send it ????
    % Then send the encoded string
    % assuming this doesn't do anything with Codes except send them raw...
    write_term(Stream, Codes, []),
    flush_output(Stream).

stringCodes(String, Codes) :-
    with_output_to(codes(Codes),
        (
            current_output(Stream),
            % I believe this will use the set_prolog_flag(encoding) to convert
            % to UTF8 bytes?
            write(Stream, String)
        )).

In SWI-Prolog is there an easy way to convert numbers from one base to another using REPL?

?- format("~2r", 0xFF).
true.

?- format("~2r",2).
true.

?- format("~4r",0xF0).
true.

You seem to be doing something similar to library(protobufs).

This code might help you (protobufs.pl, protobufs.c): GitHub - SWI-Prolog/contrib-protobufs: An interface to Google Protocol Buffers (protobuf)

I should have been clearer. I am looking for a way to turn a Prolog term that is a number into a series of bytes that represent that number. I.e.:

?- X = 10000, magic(X, Y).
Y= [39, 16]

where the magic predicate is turning the Prolog number 10000 into a series of bytes that represent that number in binary form.

Yes, but it is much simpler since I literally just want to send a string preceeded by its length. It feels like learning protocol buffers might be overkill…

There’s probably code in the referenced files that does what you want.
See also utf8_codes/3 in library(utf8).

PS: Protobufs aren’t very difficult, particularly as the SWI-Prolog version doesn’t require a protobuf compiler (I think – I’ve only used protobufs with C++ and Python). There’s an example here:

@ericzinda, who is reading the stream on the other side?

Option 1: the reading program is an existing program

• Use code similar to this from @jamesnvc to convert the int to bytes.

Option 2: the reading program is a prolog program

• I would suggest simply to use write_canonical/2, but if you want
    more speed you can use fast term io

Option 3: the reading program is a C/C++ program that you control

• then I would suggest you serialize the string as:
    ** the outpur of write(Len)
    ** put_byte(0) or some such separator
    ** the string as bytes

• the reason for this suggestion is that different machines represent integers in a different way, some are big endian, some are little endian, so this allows you portability and easy debugging, and easy parsing on the reading side.

• if you are serializing more than just some strings I would suggest you use msgpack or protobufs like peter suggested.

EDIT: side note, if you are making a distributed app you may want to use library(redis) instead to communicate the different sides.

That’s one of the advantages of protobufs. :wink:

You could also write a foreign predicate that uses the various endian-conversion functions, and then use a C union to fake the result as a string.

1 Like

These are great options, thanks! Option 1 is what I was driving for. But: the other side is a Python program that I control and I ended up doing your option 3 as a “workaround”, but I see what you mean about the endianness, etc. So I’ll take your recommendation and just keep it that way.

Yes, I should bite the bullet and dig into the protocol buffers at some point, but I really am just serializing one string here. I’ll take a look at redis. Sounds interesting.

thanks everyone!

Do you need to use binary format?
If not, you can easily use a string format, such as JSON, which is well supported by both Prolog and Python … and for strings, you don’t even need to to send the length – JSON encoding/decoding takes care of it all.

I actually am using a JSON string but I wanted to go the string length/string route just to give the caller more flexibility on how they deal with the server I’m building. Totally agree that with my particular scenario now I could just use the python JSON library and avoid the count altogether.

FWIW: Here is the code I ended up with (and there is a set_prolog_flag(encoding, utf8) term elsewhere to lock in UTF-8):

reply(Stream, Term) :-
    % Convert term to an actual JSON string
    stringJson(String, Term),
    % Get the length that the string will be once encoded
    % and write into the stream
    stringCodes(String, Codes),
    length(Codes, Length),
    write_term(Stream, Length, []),
    % Terminate with 'a' so we know that's the end of the count
    write_term(Stream, a, []),
    % Now write the actual JSON
    write(Stream, String),
    flush_output(Stream).

stringCodes(String, Codes) :-
    with_output_to(codes(Codes),
        (
            current_output(Stream),
            write(Stream, String)
        )).

stringJson(String, Term) :-
    % Convert Prolog Term to a Prolog JSON term
    term_to_json(Term, Json),
    % Now write to a string
    with_output_to(string(String),
        (
            current_output(Stream),
            json_write(Stream, Json)
        )).

If you want to have the binary representation instead of a variable-length string, you can use protobufs:int64_codes/2 (it’s an unexported predicate, written in C).

protobufs:int64_codes(300, Z), format(string(S), '~c~c~c~c~c~c~c~c~n', Z).
Z = [44, 1, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0],
S = ",\001\\000\\000\\000\\000\\000\\000\\n".

(there’s probably a predicate for outputting codes, but I’m too lazy to search for it.)

How about?

utf8_length(A, L) :-
    atom_codes(A, H),
    utf8_length(H, 0, L).

utf8_length([X|H], S, L) :- X =< 0x7F, !,
    K is S+1,
    utf8_length(H, K, L).
utf8_length([X|H], S, L) :- X =< 0x7FF, !,
    K is S+2,
    utf8_length(H, K, L).
utf8_length([X|H], S, L) :- X =< 0xFFFF, !,
    K is S+3,
    utf8_length(H, K, L).
utf8_length([X|H], S, L) :- 
    K is S+4,
    utf8_length(H, K, L).
utf8_length([], L, L).

Nice! Thanks @peter.ludemann and @j4n_bur53. These were the kind of predicates I was looking for originally.

As mentioned elsewhere, watch out for big-endian / little-endian when converting from wire format to internal form.