Sandboxing modules

I have no issues with your comments so:

1. Move any create_prolog_flag calls to a directive. (They were in a local predicate called at module initialization time.)

2. Accept that debug(Topic) is deemed unsafe which will mean some clpBNR features (e.g., tracing and debug message control) will not be available when running on pengines. (Subject to future mods to make debug topics thread-local, which I think is a good idea.)

3. prolog_current_frame was only called when the debug topic was enabled. Since that can’t be done on pengines, I can declare the internal predicate that used it as safe.

I’ve corrected my notion of a safe module as one whose “safe” exported predicates pass the safe_goal test and whose “unsafe” exported predicates generate an error. (Sounds obvious but it took me a while to get here.) So a simple test on a loaded module to generate the safe and unsafe exported predicates:

test_module_safety(M,Safe,Others) :-
	findall(M:H,predicate_property(M:H,exported),Exported),
	safe_goals_(Exported,Safe,Others).

safe_goals_([],[],[]).
safe_goals_([Goal|Goals],[Goal|Safe],Others) :-
	catch(safe_goal(Goal),_Err,fail), !,
	safe_goals_(Goals,Safe,Others).
safe_goals_([Goal|Goals],Safe,[Goal|Others]) :-  % failed `safe_goal`
	safe_goals_(Goals,Safe,Others).

test_module_safety produces two lists of goals for module M; Safe is a list of safe goals for all values of their arguments and Others contains goals which do not pass this test. Therefore, goals whose safety depends on particular instantiations of their arguments will be in the Others list as well as any strictly unsafe predicates, so the safety check for calls to these goals must be done dynamically.

So if I run this on a development version of clpBNR, I get an Others list of [clpBNR:trace_clpBNR(_), clpBNR:print_interval(_, _)]. trace_clpBNR/1 is unsafe because it depends on debug topics and the underlying implementation uses debugger predicates.

print_interval/2 outputs to a stream (via format/3) so that’s potentially unsafe depending on the value of its stream argument: print_interval(current_output,Term) is safe but print_interval(OpenStream,Term) is not, so that requires a runtime check.

Next topic: Using safe_meta/2 for meta predicates: clpBNR supports a hook for users to define their own custom interval arithmetic primitives. They do this by defining a goal in the clpBNR namespace (analogous to the way other hooks are defined, e.g., exception/3 in user, or safe_global_variable/1 in sandbox). So it’ll look something like:

clpBNR:my_primitive(`$op`, InputArgs, OutputArgs, Persistent) :-
    % implementation of 'my_primitive/4' ... .

When a constraint is “compiled” into the constraint network, the existence of this predicate is checked (via a “safe” application of predicate_property/2). When the constraint network is subsequently “evaluated” for consistency the user primitive is invoked, but this requires the use of call to invoke the custom primitive. A safe_meta declaration is required - what should it be? Perhaps:

call_user_primitive(Prim, P, InArgs, OutArgs) :-  % wraps unsafe meta call/N
	call(clpBNR:Prim, '$op', InArgs, OutArgs, P).

sandbox:safe_meta(clpBNR:call_user_primitive(Prim, P, InArgs, OutArgs), []).

This works fine but doesn’t really check if the user defined primitive is itself safe. I think the safety of hooks like this is generally covered by (from the sandbox source code):

%!  safe_assert(+Term) is semidet.
%
%   True if assert(Term) is safe,  which   means  it  asserts in the
%   current module. Cross-module asserts are   considered unsafe. We
%   only allow for adding facts. In theory,  we could also allow for
%   rules if we prove the safety of the body.

So there’s no way to inject unsafe code (as a user defined primitive) into the clpBNR namespace from outside (e.g., a SWISH user). So I think this is fine

My second question about meta-predicates is just to validate the correct usage of safe_meta in the following (from the clpBNR_toolkit module):

%
% General purpose iterator: execute Goal a maximum of N times or until Test succeeds
%
iterate_until(N,Test,Goal) :- N>0, !,
	Goal,
	N1 is N-1,
	(Test
	 -> true
	  ; iterate_until(N1,Test,Goal)
	).
iterate_until(_N,_,_).  % non-positive N --> exit

sandbox:safe_meta(clpBNR_toolkit:iterate_until(_N,Test,Goal), [Test, Goal]).

so any external calls to iterate_until/3 will only be allowed if Test and Goal are safe, again not my responsibility. (test_module_safety puts iterate_until/3 in the Others list, so calls using safe (runtime) Test and Goal will be permitted.)

Final topic: I have some examples of finding optima of linear systems that use library(simplex). The Others list for this module is [simplex:maximize(_, _, _), simplex:minimize(_, _, _)] due to an unnecessary use of meta calls in the internal predicate pivot_row

pivot_row([], _, Bounded, _, _, Row, Row) :- Bounded.  %%% here
pivot_row([Row|Rows], PCol, Bounded0, Min0, Index0, PRow0, PRow) :-
        Row = row(_Var, Left, B),
        nth0(PCol, Left, Ae),
        (   Ae > 0 ->
            Bounded1 = true,
            Bound is B rdiv Ae,
            (   Bounded0 ->                            %%% and here
                (   Bound < Min0 -> Min1 = Bound, PRow1 = Index0
                ;   Min1 = Min0, PRow1 = PRow0
                )
            ;   Min1 = Bound, PRow1 = Index0
            )
        ;   Bounded1 = Bounded0, Min1 = Min0, PRow1 = PRow0
        ),
        Index1 is Index0 + 1,
        pivot_row(Rows, PCol, Bounded1, Min1, Index1, PRow1, PRow).

Since the only usage of this predicate has an initial value of false, the meta call can be eliminated with two simple modifications:

pivot_row([], _, true, _, _, Row, Row).               %%% change to this
pivot_row([Row|Rows], PCol, Bounded0, Min0, Index0, PRow0, PRow) :-
        Row = row(_Var, Left, B),
        nth0(PCol, Left, Ae),
        (   Ae > 0 ->
            Bounded1 = true,
            Bound is B rdiv Ae,
            (   Bounded0 == true ->                   %%% change to this
                (   Bound < Min0 -> Min1 = Bound, PRow1 = Index0
                ;   Min1 = Min0, PRow1 = PRow0
                )
            ;   Min1 = Bound, PRow1 = Index0
            )
        ;   Bounded1 = Bounded0, Min1 = Min0, PRow1 = PRow0
        ),
        Index1 is Index0 + 1,
        pivot_row(Rows, PCol, Bounded1, Min1, Index1, PRow1, PRow).

Now test_module_safety returns an empty list for Others (i.e.,library(simplex) is totally safe and no runtime checking is required).

Think I’m finally ready to test all this on a pengine.

1 Like