Time results understanding

Hey,
I used the time predicate to measure my program.
I have implemented my program in 2 various way:

1. First algorithm time result:
% 3,325,335 inferences, 1.344 CPU in 30.602 seconds (4% CPU, 2474668 Lips)
  1. Second algorithm time result:
% 925,746 inferences, 0.156 CPU in 0.168 seconds (93% CPU, 5924774 Lips)

What those parameter means? (inferences, lips)
The second one is more quicker, but it takes more CPU in %.
What is better, besides the time it takes.

Thank you in advance,
Westly

“Lips” is “Logical inferences per second”.

It comes from an old benchmark of “naïve reverse” (you can see the code here) that did a simple loop – each call was called an “inference” (it involved a simple unification).

As a general rule, CPU time is roughly proportionate to number of inferences (or calls). You can get a rough idea of the complexity of the calls by looking at the “Lips” number – the higher the number, the simpler the calls and unification.

The % CPU is how much CPU you were getting – it’s essentially the wall time divided into the execution time. 4% indicates that your program was mostly waiting – perhaps something else was running at higher priority?

If you want to understand more about your code and why it’s slow, you might look into profiling.

2 Likes

I was trying the profile measurement predicate.

1. First algorithm:
    22 samples in 0.20 sec; 453 predicates; 2034 nodes in call-graph; distortion 0%
  2. Second algorithm:
    38 samples in 0.38 sec; 411 predicates; 1717 nodes in call-graph; distortion 4%

What is the difference between both of them? Which is seems better performance?
What samples means?
What is the # of predicates means?
What is the # of nodes means?
And what the distortion means?

Hopefully it will be my last question in this topic - It is possible to measure the DB size and memory usage? Can I use statistics/2 for that?

Thank you,
Westly

Profiling is for finding the “hot spots” in your code (see show_profile/1).
However, you don’t have many samples, so the results might not be very accurate.

1 Like