Toplevel name variables

I’ve pushed a patch that causes the toplevel to give names to variables other than the variables that appear in the query. These variables are, copying SICStus, names _A, _B, … Unlike SICStus though, variables that appear only once in the answer are written as _. I think that significantly speeds up understanding an answer as you do not have to scan the answer for the same variable. Naming is controlled by a new flag toplevel_name_variables. So, we get e.g.:

?- length(L, 5).
L = [_, _, _, _, _].

The downside is that queries that return huge terms with lots of variables print significantly slower.

Comments?

4 Likes

+1 from me.

Will this also be supported for the output predicates in general?

+1 … this will also make comparing top level outputs easier … would there also be a similar option print/1 and tracing?

I’m not sure whether this is easily expanded to other output predicates. You do need to do the analysis on the entire term before going into the print/portray/… details. The toplevel can easily do this. The other output predicates are commonly called on partial terms though. This too is dangerous. Printing a variable using its location on the stack (the _NNN vars) is subject to garbage collections that change the numbers :frowning:

The debugger could do so as it has the entire goal. The disadvantage is that subsequent goals are now printed using mostly (if there is no GC) consistent variable names. With this you get _A, etc. in each goal, but the _A in one goal is not related to the _A in the next.

Note that there is numbervars/4 using the singletons(true) option that will bind all variables to '$VAR'(N) and the singletons to '$VAR'('_').

I think this provides the necessary flexibility when using the other output predicates.

Not sure what to do about the debugger. Nothing’s more confusing (to me anyway) than to have your _NNN variable names change in the middle of a debug session due to GC, but having the same name mean different variables (in different calls) takes it to another level.

Note that @dmchurch has created a PR that creates consistent names for variables during a query. This is probably the right direction, but in its current implementation it doesn’t scale good enough. We are discussing other options to make it work.

1 Like

An option for a consistent renaming of variables in trace output would be helpful, instead of the current, seemingly random, assignment of numbers. (e.g., A, B, etc. or _1, _2, etc.)

My use case is when using non-graphic trace under Emacs – I’ve often found myself wanting to compare two trace outputs after making a change, or sometimes wanting to be able to search an earlier trace output for something I’m seeing in the current trace output.

1 Like

If I need to compare the behavior of two programs I typically use trace/1,2 to trace particular predicates and then use the meld utility where I tell it to ignore differences in _[0-9]+. I surely agree consistent naming would be nice to have. Doing this in a scalable way is hard though :frowning:

1 Like

TIL. Thanks!