30 years after having started coding in BASIC-DOS

I’m using: SWI-Prolog version 8.0.3

I live in France. I have made initiation to code in BASIC in early 80’s, and I made my life after then.
I have started learning OCaml, html and Javascript, then Java, with didacticials in the internet. And now, I’d like to learn the Prolog. So, I have downloaded the explicative notice in 672 pages about Prolog 3 made in *.pdf by Prolog-heritage. But, I have Prolog 8 as software, that seems to having been actualized, for example, there are linecode endings that are “.” and for me, it is concatenation.
It is not simple to learn Prolog 3 with the pdf, as there are some terms that are not explained, as in OCaml, there were not explaination about, for example, the “->” symbol.
I have so understood the basis of the language, as I have understood OCaml, but one process which blocked me for completing the software I was generating, and of course, the difficulties to find an efficient coding platform. For the OCaml, I had a *.pdf about 600 pages in english, and it was quite difficult, but I passed reading. Here now, for Prolog, the pdf about P3 is in french language, but there are some defaults, as concepts explained a hundred pages after, in order to understand them.
So my question is simple: for someone who starts coding, as me, who has just some notions and concepts about these types of languages, OCaml, Java, BASIC-DOS, who has read thousands of pages of explicative notices, and visit numerous sites as developpez.com, written thousands of pages about coding, when the missing part to understand really how to code is some basic notions (as the “->” I told you before), and the missing of explainations about actual versions of coding relatively to this platform or this one, now Prolog 8 and not Prolog 3, knowing reading hundreds of pages does not burry me, can you indicate me some directories in the internet adresses, pages you should have, relatively to these notions and the actual version 8 of Prolog?
If I can resume my question, I am searching to an explicative pdf about the 8 version of Prolog, or maybe the actualizations of Prolog didacticial version after version, which should make a complete pdf from this one about the version 3, with additive for the version 4, additive for the version 5, and so on, and of course, some lexical about basis of the syntax and symbols.
As I did not find this, maybe have you some answers soon written or to tell me here?
Even if I am a french man, it is not a problem to read in english, but a limit about current american expressions I should not know.

2 Likes

For Prolog in general: Useful Prolog references

For ->
Control Predicates

HTH

Thanks for your answer: I have had a look to the first link you have given to me, I have soon visited some pages, but I think it will help me, as the two second links you gave me here too.
See you later.

Prolog-III has a very different heritage from SWI-Prolog. Many features from Prolog-III have become available in SWI-Prolog, but in a different form.

I recommend that you use the latest “developer” version of SWI-Prolog (8.1.31) and ignore Prolog-III. Even though Prolog-III has some very interesting ideas, it is not well supported and is not mainstream.
https://www.swi-prolog.org/download/devel

The documentation for SWI-Prolog is here: https://www.swi-prolog.org/pldoc/doc_for?object=manual
And there are tutorials: https://www.swi-prolog.org/pldoc/man?section=quickstart

I would recommend you do the following:

1. read the first few chapters of the The Power of Prolog book
  2. Pick a simple problem so solve with prolog, and code the solution
  3. Go back to the book and all the other useful prolog references as you solve the simple problem.
  4. Solve the simple problem again, but with a different data-model and prolog code.

EDIT: you can find some tricky puzzles to solve here: https://www.mathsisfun.com

Talking about “The Power of Prolog”, I have listed all the Youtube Presentation of “The Power of Prolog” here, in the middle of the page: https://github.com/dtonhofer/prolog_notes

Sometimes the presentations are fast, sometimes not, but they are all recommended. The way the screen is updated is great, too.

1 Like

I have read your messages, as I had no time to answer you these days. Your indications will be useful for me. I have started to read more and visit some times more the swi site in the internet. I have read the notice in pdf for P4, containing definitions about specific concepts and links with mathematics and logic, and the pdf is clear. I found a detail about the relations, as in P, they are link between two components, but when you read Sartre in l’Etre et le Néant, you can understand, a relation is not only a link, it is a link existing between two components that is noticed and certified by a third existence, as in music two notes are an interval, and it is three superposed notes that are a chord, not two. I have also started to read the Power of Prolog. My study of Prolog is a professional activity, but I have others activities, so I will tell you if your indications are useful later, but I will. For the moment, I found some answers searching and searching, trying to code in a way or another, and I have solved some problems about using primitives by coding mines, even for the addition operation, as the primitives that are in the software do not match. It is a week I have not had the time to code or to come in the internet, and I will code back in a few days.

1 Like