Get downloaded SWI-Prolog installers accepted by Windows?

Windows users will be familiar with the rather alarming messages they get when they want to install notably the development versions of SWI-Prolog. I found installation - How to avoid the "Windows Defender SmartScreen prevented an unrecognized app from starting warning" - Stack Overflow.

Any Windows users who can comment on that? Is there a free program to get signing certificates for open source organizations? Python seems to have something like that.

You probably know this already but just in case you don’t

This page

Install SWI-Prolog development version on Windows 10

notes the warning and it is also noted in plain text so that a search engine can index it then shows the necessary step to continue which is to click More info.

I do not know.

Thanks for writing this up. Still, most people come through the download page and it would be better if it all looked a bit less scary :slight_smile: Possibly https://shop.certum.eu/ is an option. It is not free, but affordable. Any experience?

Sorry, no.

Some more browsing suggests there used to be some free services for open source, but they are all gone. Others used to be really cheap, but have grown to be much more expensive. I’ll check out normal commercial options.