Using "help/1"

I’m using: SWI-Prolog version 8.8.3 with Linux Mint 19.1.

When I enter “?- help(write).” in the terminal, it responds by displaying some text in the terminal.

Some of this text is displayed in red or blue.

With a previous version of SWI Prolog instead of showing the response in the terminal,
it displayed it in a seperate Help application. This was better because some of the text
was in green, and when I clicked on a green word it showed more details. I.e. the green words were hyperlinks.

Is there a way for me to get the old behavior, i.e. how can I get it to use the old Help application?

Martin.

1 Like

The old stuff is gone as it relied on too many hard to maintain components. The new help is for quick help text. For browsing use the website or swipl --pldoc to open help in your browser from the local system. The old xpce based help can of course be restored, but the manuals are now in HTML rather than plain text and thus (quite some) work needs to be done. If someone does it, I’m happy to apply the pull request.

1 Like

Thank you for your reply Jan.

I see that I can use the Search feature of the website to get the information I am looking for. This Search feature displays similar results to “help/1”. I am happy with this.

There is no need restore “help/1”, as the website Search feature does a similar job.