Wiki Discussion: Install SWI-Prolog development version on Windows 10

This is a topic to discuss the Wiki

Install SWI-Prolog development version on Windows 10

Why is that? I’m afraid the last time I installed the Windows versions is very long ago, but the idea is that you can install a new version on top of the old. What is going wrong?

Didn’t know this.

I will clean my directory, install a stable version, then install a dev version on top of that without an uninstall and let you know.

Thanks.

In general this should work. The only downside is that if some file has been removed in the new version it will still be present in the upgraded version. If I recall well though the installer asks for deletion of the old version.

That is correct.

Modified uninstall post to note possibility of added uninstall question, and that a new install can be done without an uninstall without problems :smiley:

1 Like

During the install process tried to uninstall current version when prompted by Windows installer. The uninstall failed even right after a system reboot.

Install without uninstalling previous version still completed successfully.

Today tried using winget to see how it works for installing SWI-Prolog.

C:\Users\Groot>winget search swi-prolog
Name       Id                    Version Source
------------------------------------------------
SWI-Prolog SWI-Prolog.SWI-Prolog 8.4.3   winget

C:\Users\Groot>winget install swi-prolog
Found SWI-Prolog [SWI-Prolog.SWI-Prolog] Version 8.4.3
This application is licensed to you by its owner.
Microsoft is not responsible for, nor does it grant any licenses to, third-party packages.
Downloading https://www.swi-prolog.org/download/stable/bin/swipl-8.4.3-1.x64.exe
  ██████████████████████████████  12.2 MB / 12.2 MB
Successfully verified installer hash
Starting package install...
Installer failed with exit code: 2

AFAIK the code that sets up NSIS (Nullsoft Scriptable Install System) for SWI-Prolog is in

which is causing Installer failed with exit code: 2 If one downloads SWI-Prolog for Windows, starts NSIS installer and tries to uninstall a currently installed version when prompted they will see the installer failing as noted in the previous post.

Personal Notes

Pack.cmake is used by CMake (ref)