Any senior willing to be a "visitor" (20 min or so) in my seminar?

Dear prolog seniors and/or experts,

I am currently teaching a seminar “Kognitive Modellierung mit Prolog” at the department of psychology, university of Innsbruck (Austria). The students are all beginners; the teacher has learned prolog 25 years ago in a seminar called “Kognitive Modellierung mit Prolog” at the department of psychology, university of Freiburg (Germany, aka. Vorderösterreich), but this was followed by 24 years of inactivity.

Ok, trying not to digress: We’ll probably spend the first 5 weeks with simple search algorithms and such stuff, thus really easy things. Because of corona, all our teaching is online. Inspired of a similar idea by colleague, I would like to invite a prolog “senior” to one of the online sessions (Tuesday between 13.45 and 15.15) for a 20 min chat and/or a little presentation. If it is just a chat, I would prepare the students. If it is a presentation, the topic does not need to be related to cognitive psychology (and, of course, it should be a presentation that has already been given elsewhere, nothing that needs to be prepared).

If anyone of the seniors is willing to participate, just drop me a note (response here, PM, email to matthias.gondan-rochon at University of Innsbruck uibk.ac.at), that would be a really great thing :slight_smile:

Thank you for considering.

Best regards,

Matthias

This sounds really fun; I am using Prolog in psychology as well :slight_smile:

Sorry to say though that i am busy tuesday (and I am not a senior).

Cheers/JCR

1 Like

Ah, very interesting. If you don’t mind, please elaborate (here or via PM).

I must say that I don’t use prolog for research purposes, not yet maybe, who knows. I am still quite a beginner. I just like the system, and it’s friendly for teaching because one gets psychologically interesting results quite soon, without having to learn dozens of control structures first.

I tried using prolog for research purposes, well, rather, implementation of some research ideas from other people, but I fell in the “red-cut”-trap soon, and once you’re trapped, everything quickly becomes procedural and then it’s basically Turbo Pascal plus pattern matching (which is still nice, but it’s not the same). Probably a beginner’s mistake.

In my next attempt, I will try to use postpone the use of cuts by the use of “clean representation” (in opposition to defaulty); I think it’s the same as or very similar to what Sterling and Shapiro denote as structured representation.

Digressing again. Let’s see. I’ve never planned the topics of my research activity.

@mgondan1, i’ll send you a PM :slight_smile:

Hi Matthias! should you still need an assistant, you can count on me… Imre

Fantastic! Thanks. I’ll contact you in November or so :slight_smile:
At the moment, my students are very shy.