Changed to: Visual Debugger out of stack space?

Hello,

Edit:

I now used “native” swi visual debugger and similarly get strange empty debug windows opening during execution. Its a SWI-Prolog debugger window with its three panes (Bindings, Call Stack) and a buffer, the Bindings and Call Stack are empty and the buffer includes the following text:

This buffer is for notes you don't want to save. If you want to create a file, visit that file with C-x C-f,
% then enter the text in that file’s own buffer.

While debugging in eclipse I get an odd error - the debug window opens empty or multiple times as empty window – while the command prompt trace shows errors with a library prolog_stack.pl referenced.

Also, with the following error:

ERROR: [Thread pdt_console_client_0_Default Process] Assertion failed: prolog_gui:(8==6)

Is this a stack space problem – is there a way to increase stack space.

Is this a prolog, PDT or an eclipse out of space problem?

any thought are much appreciated,

Dan

If empty means normal size, grey background, this is a known issue with the X11 version (anything but Windows). Waiting a few seconds should show the content. Moving the window a few pixels shows the content too. It is a problem with the geometry management that started at some X11 version, but I never managed to figure out why this specific geometry request is not answered immediately.

As long as there are no resource errors, why would one suspect space problems?

Otherwise, I don’t know. Guess there is little that can be done without a test to reproduce this. Also try outside PDT. PDT has been the cause of issues before.

Thank you.

Yes, i tried outside PDT and got the same results.

Also, the window doesn’t refresh – and often 6-10 empty windows appear as well – it seems related where I put a trace in the code – its quite a mystery to me.

And quite scary – if this starts to break down significantly my dev environment goes out of the window (no pun intended :slight_smile: – leaving me with little options to work productively … (back to the 80s – text editors and command line debugging – which i very much hope to avoid)

Dan

Except for the grey window I described, I don’t really recognize this. If you make the debugger stop at some point and there are a lot of threads that hit this point you’ll indeed end up with a lot of tracer windows. Except for debugging the suspicious code in a single thread I have no real solution to this.

Otherwise, come up with an example and instructions to reproduce. That is the only way to make progress.

Thanks.

I will check whether there is some threading going on … perhaps its the cue I need to track this down.

Right now debugging works again – the problem shows up from time to time – but, luckily disappears again and again (so far).

Dan