Error in building last version

Hi,
with the last version of SWI (pull from master) i get a building error:

/mnt/c/Users/damia/Desktop/Mio/swipl-devel/packages/xpce/src/win/frame.c: In function ‘makeClassFrame’:
/mnt/c/Users/damia/Desktop/Mio/swipl-devel/packages/xpce/src/win/frame.c:2036:31: error: ‘NAME_mappedFrames’ undeclared (first use in this function)
   MappedFrames = globalObject(NAME_mappedFrames, ClassChain, EAV);
                               ^

Any idea how to fix this?
Thanks

Last week, I saw this error (or something similar) on Ubuntu … and then it went away a few days later. I’m guessing that some underlying dependency got updated. (I also saw some weird “inconsistent history” messages when I did “git pull” … and those mysteriously disappeared later)

Suggestions: do another “git pull --recurse” and do a clean build (delete the “build” directory first)

Either do a clean build (i.e., remove the build directory) or run this from the build directory and next re-run ninja.

rm packages/xpce/h/names.i?

This indeed fixes my problem. However, i’m still whondering why sometimes i have to delete the build folder and rebuild the whole project from scratch…

In this case, a missing dependency. Adding this dependency is doable, but the toolchain is rather complicated and would cause a full rebuild of the XPCE graphics library on any change to it. Adding “names” (XPCE’s atoms) to the source happens so rarely that I didn’t bother.

Otherwise you should typically be fine with an incremental build unless one of the dependencies is updated to a new version. Thus, after an OS upgrade you typically have to restart in a clean build directory.

The overall rule of thumb:

• git pull
  • git submodule update --init
  • cd build
  • ninja
  • ninja # Should not be needed, but some dependencies do not always work correctly :frowning:

On a persistent failure

• Make sure your git tree is clean (git status or git diff)
  • Remove the build dir, recreate it, run cmake and ninja.

I think that git pull --recurse avoids the need for submodule update --init. Similarly, you can do initial checkout with git clone --recurse. (And adding -j8 speeds things up by updating the submodules in parallel)